RBC Insurance has launched a pharmacogenetic testing program which looks at how genes affect a person’s response to drugs.
RBC reports the following statistics:
Pharmacogenetic testing is a simple saliva test that allows for science to tell you which brands/types of medication will work the best for you based on your DNA. RBC is offering the test at a heavily discounted price of $299. This procedure analyzes all illnesses and types of medication. Get it done once, and it’s done for life. You will forever know which medications are most effective for you based on your genetic makeup, all from the comfort of your own home. The result of the test is less waste, healthier employees, and lower out of pocket costs. The test can be used to ensure you’re on the most effective medication for your body, or as a proactive step in case of any future prescriptions.
If you are interested in the test, please contact us for more details.
For more information visit RBC Drug Compatibility Testing
1) By providing access to this test, RBC Insurance is not giving medical advice to change drugs. The test results are provided to help you and your physicians make decisions about your prescription medications.
2) Adverse drug events costly to health care system: Vancouver Coastal Health-UBC research, University of British Columbia press release, February 25, 2011, accessed August 9, 2016 from http://cpnds.ubc.ca/faqs/adverse-drug-reactions
3) Kalow W, Tang BK, Endrenyi L. Hypothesis: comparisons of inter- and intra-individual variations can substitute for twin studies in drug research. Pharmacogenetics. 1998;8(4):283–289
4) How healthy are Canadians? Government of Canada, 2017
5) The test is not currently used for biologic drugs, which are specialized drugs derived from living cells to treat many chronic conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis and cancer.